Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Direct Translation

Perhaps it is due to the fact that I’m Chinese educated, perhaps I did not do enough readings or perhaps I’m simply not good enough, that I am still having the problem of direct translating my English from Mandarin, not to mention I did not even realize it in the first place till a friend of mine pointed it out, where I then seek for the opinions from third parties; a reassurance which turned out to be a disaster. Guess that’s that. From time to time we would translate the messages directly from an incident or a situation, which can sometimes be useful or maybe not. Say, we assume one is busy when he’s replying us late, where we then say goodbye and wish him good day; we assume the number of messages is directly proportional to how much a person cares about us or how close he is to us; we assume everything is fine when people are not showing any sign of dissatisfaction. Those are merely the assumptions being made, but as always, when we interpret it correctly, it will do us good and when we don’t, the effect is just the opposite.